With a little caution and attention, you could avoid speed cameras whose presence, however, is anticipated by a special sign. “Money down the drain” you sigh as you resign yourself to swallowing the bitter mouthful. You came to our site to find out “how long does it take red light camera ticket to come nsw?
- 1 How long does it take red light camera ticket to come nsw?
- 2 How to check if the speed camera is regular?
- 3 Obligation of immediate objection
How long does it take red light camera ticket to come nsw?
Now we tell you how long it would take for the NSW letter to arrive at your address. This letter usually takes 2 to 4 weeks to arrive and if it does not arrive within 30 days. It will be must delivered to your address within 90 days.
Among the reasons for appeal against the speed camera there are first of all those relating to the formal validity of the offense. It must be sent to the address of the motorist within 90 days from the date of the infringement. It is considered the day on which the police sent the registered letter and not the day on which it was received.
Another important aspect is related to the regularity of the car data: model and license plate must correspond to that of the recipient who. If he has never been on the offending stretch of road, can contest the report. The last aspect that should not be underestimated concerns the operation of the electronic speed control device which could be “not up to standard”.
How to check if the speed camera is regular?
There are a number of legal provisions aimed at police officers who use speed cameras to reduce the risk of abuse and to prevent their operation from being altered by continued use. Among the rules that must be respected there is the obligation of the initial testing, the periodic calibration (to be reported in the report). The pre-signaling with a special road sign. The order of the Prefect who, outside the city centers, authorizes the installation.
The violation of only one of these rules entails the illegality of the fine for speeding which, consequently, can be appealed to the justice of the peace within 30 days of receiving the registered letter. Or alternatively (but with less chance of success) Prefect within 60 days.
Below we will analyze all the laws that govern this complex matter and are used to check if the speed camera is regular .
Before any speed camera, fixed or mobile or even the one mounted on the police car (the so-called Scout Speed), there must be a sign that warns motorists about the electronic speed control. Without it, the fine is void the same applies if the signs are not very visible, too small or obscured by other signs or by vegetation.
Speed cameras that apply to both lanes of the road must be reported in both directions of travel.
The sign must be placed at an adequate distance from the station, in order to avoid sudden braking. According to the Supreme Court, the law does not say how many meters before the signal must be found.
Although the Supreme Court did not want to specify what this distance is, according to the 2017 Minniti directive it must be determined as follows:
- Highways and main suburban roads: m. 250;
- Secondary and urban extra-urban roads (with speeds exceeding 50 km / h): m. 150;
- Other roads: 80.
After at least 4 kilometers, the sign must be repeated a second time. Otherwise, the speed camera that is beyond this distance from the warning is illegitimate.
Doubts have arisen, in the precedents of the Supreme Court. Whether the sign should be repeated on the occasion of intersections. For the benefit of motorists who come from another road and have not read the previous signs.
Today’s majority interpretation considers it unnecessary to repeat the warning if secondary roads are introduced onto a main road.
Obligation of immediate objection
In the city
If the camera is located in a busy urban center. The police can use the camera and raise fines only on condition that it stops immediately after the driver and faces the fine.
On the main urban roads, it is possible to use the speed camera without immediate objection provided that there is an order from the Prefect to authorize it. The report must indicate not only the details of the order of the Prefect. But also the concrete reasons that did not allow the immediate stop of the car.
Outside the city
On motorways and main suburban roads, the use of speed cameras can take place without immediate objection and without authorization from the Prefect.
On the other hand, in the case of secondary suburban roads. Immediate objection is required unless there is an order from the Prefect authorizing electronic control without stopping the vehicle.
Authorization of the Prefect
What we have just said can also be summarized in the following terms.
- Speed cameras on the motorway: No prefect authorization is required. Speed cameras fixed or mobile can be installed anywhere (except for a preventive warning sign). Immediate objection is not necessary.
- Speed cameras on main suburban roads: No prefect authorization is required.
- Speed cameras on secondary suburban roads: Authorization from the Prefect is required, but there is no need for immediate notification. If the stretch of road does not fall within those identified by the Prefect. Immediate notification is required.
- Speed cameras on urban sliding roads: The Prefect’s authorization is required. But there is no need for immediate objection. If the stretch of road does not fall within those identified by the Prefect, immediate notification is required.
- Speed cameras on urban neighborhood streets and local roads: The immediate contestation of the fine is always necessary (even if there should be, but in fact there never is) the authorization of the Prefect.
Stay tuned. We always try to present you with informative articles. I will try to present any new information to you in the future. Thank you for reading our article in full. We hope you like it. If you want to know more about “How long does it take red light camera ticket to come nsw?”. You can let us know by commenting. Thanks.